The meeting was attended 19 NAFIS member organizations and other observers from government officials, civil society organizations and International Organizations.
Objective of Meeting:
- To organize 5th general assembly of NAFIS Network which take place once in every two years and elect Board of directors
- Specific Objectives:
- To review NAFIS Network achievements and challenges within last two years
- To evaluate and make amendment of NAFIS- Network Constitution
- To select the BoDs members from NAFIS Network those who will be functional for upcoming two years.
Opening remarks by the NAFIS Executive Director
In the remarks, Mr. Abdirhaman Gaas, the Executive Director for NAFIS Network welcomed all the participants (representatives of NAFIS Network members, independent observers, partners, government representatives and staffs). and also explained the aim of the 5thGenral assemply of NAFIS Network while Mohamed Awil reads the Quran.
- As proceedings of the 5th general assembly on Network event, the Out-going Chairperson of the NAFIS Network, Mrs. Amina Mohamud Warsame (Amina Milgo) thanked all the participants and emphasis the Network objectives, achievements and the challenges predominantly. FGM prevalence in Somaliland and confusing regarding types of FGM which our community exercised. Furthermore she hopes in one day will be the end of practicing FGM with our community. Moreover she predicates NAFIS-Network with better hope in future.
Similarly Sucaad Ibrahim from Progressio talked about the role of NAfIS Network as regards to eradicating FGM and other domestic violence issues with our young females. She emphasized the relationship between NAFIS Network and Progressio through supporting with capacity buildings and appreciated to be among them
- Fathia Jahuurr from SLNHRC- (Somaliland National Human right Commission), was officially gratefully to NAFIS Network through efforts paid to eliminate on FGM problem in our community and obviously representing on behalf of Government and congratulates to the outgoing boards with their contributions, achievements during the lead on network and hopeful wise opportunity for coming new BoDs.
- Constitutional review
NAFIS members reviewed the constitution and made some amendment, then they voted and approved the reviewed constitution.
Election-the Board of Directors:
- Electoral Committee (EC) members were selected, which was composed of 5 people, two person from member organizations, two from previous BoD and one from the observers. election preparatory committee namely: Ismahaan Abdisalan,Amin Mohamed, Canab from previous BoDs Cabdillahi from NAFIS members and Sucaad Ibrahim guest from progressio . Ms Sucaad Ibraahim was nominated as the Chairperson.
- The electoral committee reminded the electorates that they received 12 applications out of 19 organizations to join the Board. The committee found six organizations had participated and served in the previous BoDs in NAFIS and therefore the application was canceled.
- The Electoral committee explained the number of seats for NAFIS Network BoDs which included chairperson, vice chairperson, treasurer, secretary and three seats of memberships. Ms. Khadra Omer from BVO was elected as the Chairperson of NAFIS Network, Mr. Abiib Ahmed Hirsi from CCBRS was elected as the vice chairperson , Sahra C/wahaab Sh. Ahmed from WARSAN was elected as the treasure Mr. Hodan Abdi Siciid from Al kowniin was elected as the secretary position.